Tis’ the season to be Cherry…..sorry, I mean Merry!
The week between Christmas Eve and New Year’s Day is a blur to me – I lose track of days; my work falls by the wayside; there is no ‘TO DO’ list; there are more ‘spare of the moment’ outings; all my clothes fit super snug from the never ending eating feasts. Ah, I love this time of the year!!
Consequently, I couldn’t remain in this bliss state knowing that I haven’t shared a recipe with you for New Year’s Eve or Day, so here is one. It’s not a recipe for an alcohol beverage (which would come in handy over the next 24 hours of drinking), but one specifically to line the stomach.
In addition, when one receives a large fresh box from the Cherry Capital of Australia (Young NSW) – one makes Coconut, Dark Chocolate & Cherry Tart (the largest Cherry Ripe you’ll ever have).
RECIPE: COCONUT, DARK CHOCOLATE & CHERRY TART
175g (2 cups) Desiccated Coconut
215g (1 cup) Castor Sugar
55g (1/3 cup) Plain Flour
2 tblsp Dutch Cocoa powder
2 Eggs, whole, lightly whisked
1 tblsp Cornflour
600g Cherries, fresh, pitted
2 tsp Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
200g Dark Chocolate, good quality, finely chopped
200ml Pure Cream
Extra Cherries, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180c. Grease a fluted tart tin with removable bases – either large rectangle (11cm x 37cm) or round (28cm) with olive oil (or coconut oil) spray.
- Combine coconut, ½ cup of castor sugar, plain flour and cocoa in a bowl. Stir in the lightly whisked eggs and ensure all combined.
- Press coconut mixture into the base and sides of the fluted tin – ensure to spread evenly and leave a thickness of about 5mm. Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and firm. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix cornflour and 2 tblsp of cold water in a small glass or jug. Place cherries, remaining castor sugar and lemon juice into a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until castor sugar dissolves and cherries soften. Add cornflour mixture and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla bean paste and allow to cool.
- Place chopped chocolate into a bowl. Bring cream just to the boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over chocolate, stirring until melted and smooth. Cool at room temperature for 45 minutes or until spreadable and slightly thickened.
- Remove tart from fluted tin and fill with cooled cherry mixture. Spread over top with chocolate ganache and leave to set. Serve topped with fresh cherries and a dollop of double cream.
HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2017 be glorious! x